Werder4USCongress

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

INTRO.

Ladies and gentlemen:
My name is Mr. Werder. My friends call me 'Dave'......
and I'm running for U.S. Congress. Florida's fifth (5th) congressional district to be more precise.
It's my third time running, my first time trying to make the ballot. The first two times being as a write-in candidate. Primarily, the first two times were used to get a little name recognition going and to get and gain a little exposure in the district. My district consists of all of the following: Hernando, Citrus & Sumter, and parts of Pasco, Polk, Lake, Marion and Levy Counties. For those of you who are not from this area, it is on the central west coast of the state of Florida, north of Tampa all the way up to Ocala or there abouts.
We are known here as 'The Nature Coast' ...although the way Tampa and Orlando have been growing and consuming up real estate we may be hard pressed to keep that title long into the future even though are local governments have been setting aside large tracts of lands and preserves to ensure it.
When I tell folks where I live locally...I tell them I live out on Powell Rd....... I don't give out an address because I don't need to...(wouldn't help for mailing purposes either, because there's no mail service there. I get my mail at my moms in the next county)
I tell them I live out on Powell Rd. ....where the 'outhouse' & the little church are,
....where the ducks and the geese are...and the chickens running loose! And usually I hear,
Oh! That's 'your' place!! Most locals know it. I'm on what has become a pretty major thoroughfare in just a few short years. When the traffic is really running.. it has taken me as long as eight minutes to get out of my driveway. Occasionally, I hear someone say they don't know where I live and I tell them... Someday you'll be driving along and you'll see an outhouse...that's where I live...try not to run over my chickens! Actually, my chickens are pretty smart. In all the long years I have lived here I haven't lost a single one due to the road.
Either they know better or they know how hot that pavement can get in the hot Florida sun.
The place is pretty much a landmark locally. Oh! There's a reason for the outhouse.
The place I live in was in the path of a new toll road they put in and I had to move it . I had all my expenses figured out . The permits, the costs for moving the structure, septic etc. etc.
For those of you unfamiliar with Florida, we have here in some parts what is called an impact fee. It's a one time fee that's placed on new permits/new structures to offset the cost of infrastucture that you are going to impact or put a burden on. ie. schools, roads, libraries etc. etc. that the new people/person will put an impact on. At the time ours was about $3,000.
I went before our county commissioners to ask that it be waived...because I wasn't new and the structure had already been here. And they agreed. When the building was up in the air and ready to move I went to get the building permit for the new site and was told by the building dept..... NO IMPACT FEE...NO BUILDING PERMIT! Well, I paid it. That was my
well money and because of that, I toted water for nine months. I forgot to mention the sign.
The outhouse has a sign that reads "IMPACT FEES SUCK". Our impact fees have risen now to the point that they are just shy of $10,000. That pretty much rules out someone who makes a meager wage or minimum wage from ever becoming a homeowner, especially if your trying to build from the ground up. The way the law is written you cannot even camp on your property until you've paid the fee. enough....
My only promise running for congress is ... "I will give up 1/2 of my salary to help pay for prescription drugs for needy seniors and indigent citizens in the district, I feel $80,000 take-home pay is enough, the job currently pays over $161,000 plus." I'm not making any money farming $80,000 would seem like hitting the lottery. (Florida has a lottery, for those of you who don't know.)
And if you've been around these parts long enough...and you're old enough... you might know me. I'm the guy, who back in the 80's, in Clearwater, Florida, sat atop a flag-pole for a world-record (439days11hours6minutes) as a political protest over the price of gasoline.
I felt ninety-nine cents a gallon was to much at the time. I can only say now that I am more then willing to admit when I've made a mistake about how much is to much for a gallon of gas.
I also thought $1.36 a year ago was to much. "Who-da known!!!"
Till next time.....Please remember me when it's time to vote. WERDER4USCongress

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have to write a bout u n stuff. i thught it was ganna be boring but it turns out this is funny. its for my geography projects erybody else got canadates like hill clinton and stuff but i got u....n im so glad cuz ur soooo funny..oh great this is going to be a blast!!!! thanks 4 making this fun...and im in 8th grade btw

10:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What are you running for democrat or republican, what is your stance on issues with florida, what is your party lines?
You have absolutely know info, on your party affiliation or anything that you stand for. One might assume that this is not a real bid for congress, is that what this is all about. Please Explain!

7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am the editor of the Lake County Democratic Newsletter. I am going to feature all dems running for US Congress, in D5,6,and 8. If you would like to participlate, I need a 200-350 word Bio and issue page along with a .jpg photo. The deadline for this issue is June22nd. Please send the info and picture to lakedemsnewslettr@comcast.net. You can log onto our democratic web site and see an example of this newsletter www.lakedemocrats.com

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Crystal River Rotary Club in Crystal River will be hosting a candidate luncheon on Monday, August 11,2008 at the Plantation Inn in Crystal River at noon. If you would like to participate you will be able to meet our members and speak for about 3 minutes. Please call me at 352-795-2000, Randy Welker, if you are available to come. Thank you.

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Christian Coalition of Florida is sending out candidate questionnaires for the primary and we would like to include you. Is there an e-mail address where we can send the questionnaire? Please let me know at: bstephens@ccfla.org - thank you!

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Related to the above comment - today is July 7th, 2008 and the deadline for completed questionnaires for inclusion in the Florida Primary Voter Guide is July 18th, 2008.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Robert Shattuck said...

Plaintiffs' lawyers impede economic recovery
Dear Mr. Werder,

I am an Alabama resident.

I think plaintiffs' lawyers impede the country's economic recovery. I also think they undermine business ethics. They particularly stand in the way of sensible medical malpractice reform as a way to lower the nation's health care costs.

I have a blog How To Combat Plaintiffs' Lawyers where I record my efforts to communicate with lawmakers, judges, attorney generals and academics, among others, about how I believe plaintiffs' lawyers ill serve societal interests.

I receive no remuneration for any of my activities. I am not a member of any tort reform organization, chamber of commerce, or any other organization that has an interest in opposing plaintiffs' lawyers.

Congress is debating more stimulus, health care reform, and other governmental action to get our nation's economy back on track, and the country is moving toward the 2010 elections that will be a referendum on how the current Congress performs about these important domestic issues.

I hope you, as a United States Senator or Representative, or as a candidate for the Senate or the House of Representatives, will look at the contribution the plaintiffs' lawyers make to the country's economic difficulties and will consider, advocate and propose legislative action to lessen the problem of the plaintiffs' lawyers.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Robert Shattuck

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Sean Pitts said...

Contact info for Orlando Sentinel

Hey -

My name is Sean Pitts from the Orlando Sentinel. I am putting together a contact list for our entire newsroom so we can quickly contact candidates in the upcoming elections.

What is the best email address to use to get into contact with your campaign? And telephone?

Thanks!
spitts@orlandosentinel.com

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember you !
It's a shame your site doesn't show how great a candidate you could be and are; or how dedicated to a cause you can be. ie.re the price of gas. It doesn't compare with meeting or getting to know you in person.
That said, I hope all the constituents in your district will get to meet and know you as I did.
I think you would make an excellant representative for all of the people. You are for US.
GOOD LUCK..&.. BREAK A LEG !!!
You've got OUR vote.
Stick to your guns...sooner or later you will win...hope it is sooner....

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home